EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
The EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens is a successor to the EF 28-70mm f2.8L USM released in 1995. This earlier lens has proved popular with professional and advanced amateur users as a high performance standard zoom. However, with the rapid growth in popularity of digital EOS cameras, there has been a need for a standard zoom with a shorter wide-angle option to compensate for the smaller image format on models such as the EOS 1D, D30 and D60.
The EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens meets this need. It also offers the shortest minimum focussing distance in it class, and features enhanced water and dust resistance.
• uses two aspherical elements to give the winder 24-70mm zoom range while maintaining or improving on the image quality of the EF 28-700mm f2.8L USM
• UD element provides good compensation for the chromatic aberrations that tend to occur at short focal length settings
• optimised lens coatings minimise the ghosting that sometimes arise when lenses are used with digital cameras
• high resistance to dust and water droplets
• rear focusing and ring USM for near-silent and high speed autofocusing
• high speed autofocusing equal to or better than the EF 28-70mm f2.8L USM (uses the same high communication speed CPU and AF algorithms as the EF 28-105mm f4-5.6USM)
• near-circular aperture produces more attractive out-of-focus images (better bokeh)
• minimum focusing distance of 0.38 metres at all focal lengths
• front element does not rotate during focusing, allowing easy use of accessories such as polarising filters
• manual focusing enabled even during AF mode (full-time mechanical manual focus)
• optical system constructed using only lead-free glass (reduces pollution during manufacture)
• basic exterior appearance based on the EF 28-70mm f2.8L design concept.
Focal length and maximum aperture: 24-70mm 1:2.8
Lens construction: 16 elements in 13 groups
Diagonal angle-of-view: 84°-34°
Focus adjustment: ring-type USM, rear focusing system, full-time manual focus
Closest focusing distance: 0.38 m/ 1.3ft. (Macro), 0.29 x magnification
Zoom system: rotation type
Filter size: 77mm
Max. diameter x length, weight: 83.2 x 123.5mm, 950g