Replaced the Speedlite 420EZ. Very popular in the days before E-TTL metering and still a good second-hand choice for type B cameras. A-TTL flash mode. Guide number of 43 (ISO 100m) at 80mm zoom head setting. Coverage down to 24mm. Tilt and swivel head for versatile bounce flash photography.
EOS magazine, December 2003, page 38
Type: energy-saving, automatic, electronic flash unit A-TTL metering system to measure light reflected from the film surface. Clip-on type with directly coupled contacts. For exclusive use with EOS cameras
Guide number table (at ISO 100):
Number of flashes:
* The numbers on the right are for the ATTL mode, and the numbers on the left side are the manual (1/1) flash. The manual 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 number of flashes are 2, 4, 8, 10, and 12 times the full flash (1/1) value
* The numbers on the right are for the ATTL mode, and the numbers on the left side are for the manual (1/1) flash.
External power supply:
Flash duration: 1.5ms or less
Flash coverage angle: covers more than the fields of view of 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 80mm using an auto internal zoom mechanism. Manual switch over is also possible.
Bounce angle: upward: 0-90°, left: 0-180°, right: 0-90°
The flash emits a preflash for bounce flash
Flash exposure level control: A-TTL automatic flash, TTL automatic flash (when the camera is set in the manual mode), manual
Flash control system: with film surface illumination
Flash level control:
• automatic - daylight syncro reduction control preset
• manual - manual correction within +/- 3 levels in 1/3 level steps (except when the camera i sin full-automatic mode)
X-Sync shutter speed:
* The figures in parentheses apply to the EOS 630, 650, 750 and 850
A-TTL normal flash: 2.3-62.3ft 0.7-19m
Rapid-fire flash: 2.3-16.4ft 0.7-5m minimum
2.3-45.9ft 0.7-14m maximum
* Based on 50mm f1.8, ISO 100
Out-of-coupling range warning: if the subject is too far away, the shutter speed and the aperture value blink in the viewfinder when shutter button is pressed halfway.
If the subject is too close, the distance display blinks.
Ready lamp: the ready lamp turns red when there is a full charge, the ready lamp turns yellow-green during rapid-charge. The rapid-charge does not light when the external power supply is used
Sync timing: switching between first and second curtain timing is possible
Power source: four size-AA (LR6) alkaline or NiCd batteries.
Carbon-zinc batteries may also be used
External batteries: transistor pack TP
• six carbon-zinc C-size batteries
• Canon Ni-Cd pack TP
SE (save-energy): power automatically turns off after 90 seconds of non-use when the main switch is left on
• mode memory function: even if the main switch is turned off, the last control mode and the zoom position just before the unit is turned off are stored in memory
• when the EOS-1 is used, the distance and aperture value on the display panel correspond to the EOS-1. These values are displayed in 1/3 steps
Dimensions: 75 (W) x 122 (H) x 106 (D)mm
Weight: 365g (without batteries)