SPEEDLITE 380 EX
Replaced by the 420EX, which is the better buy. Although the 380EX offers E-TTL and TTL modes, it is not part of the wireless flash system. The head only tilts (no swivel). However, it does offer high speed (FP) synchronisation and flash exposure compensation. Guide number of 38 (ISO 100m) at 105mm setting.
EOS magazine, December 2003, page 38
Type: Direct-sync, shoe-mount flash with E-TTL auto flash control (E-TTL test preflash, AF-assit beam, auto zoom head, and bounce capability).
Compatible cameras: Type-A cameras (with E-TTL auto flash control).
Type-B cameras (with TTL auto flash control).
Flash duration: 1.4 ms or less. (Normal Flash)
Flash coverage: auto zoom head covers 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm and 105mm lenses automatically.
• normal sync
• high-speed sync (FP flash); Type-A camera
• test firing (with test firing button)
Tiltable angles: max. tilt angle: 90upward
Click stops: 0°, 60°, 75°, 90°
Exposure control modes:
• E-TTL auto flash (Type-A camera)
• FE lock (Type-A camera)
• TTL auto flash (with EOS cameras without E-TTL auto flash capabilty)
Flash metering system:
• E-TTL auto flash metering with a test preflash (Type-A camera)
• E-TTL auto flash partialo metering with a test preflash (Type-A camera)
• TTL off-the-film auto flash metering (with Type-B cameras)
Flash exposure compensation:
• automatic flash output reduction for fill flash
• enabled with cameras having flash-exposure compensation capability
Flash range (with 50m f1.4 lens at ISO 100):
• with normal sync: 0.7 - 22 meters / 2.3-73ft
• with high-speed sync: 0.7 - 11.9 meters / 2.3-39.27ft (at 1/125 sec)
Flash-ready indication: red pilot lamp
AF-assist beam linkage and range: linked to center focusing point, effective from approx. 0.7 to 10 meters / 2.3 to 33ft (in total darkness)
Auto power off: power turns off automatically after 90 sec. of non-use
• four size-AA alkaline batteries (LR6 or AM-3)
• four size-AA NiCd batteries (KR15 or KR51)
Dimensions (mm): 75 (W) x 113.5 (H) x 103.5 (D) / 2-15 / 16 (W) x 4-1 / 2 (H) x 4-3 / 4 (D)
Weight: 270g (excluding batteries) / 9.45oz
Guide No. (meters at ISO 100)
Battery life and recycling time