introduced 1996 - discontinued 2002
Canon's first Advanced Photo System AF SLR. It uses the EF lens mount and accepts the full range of lenses from the EOS system. Offers full range of SLR features (similar specification to EOS 500N). The EOS IX E (Japan only) includes eye-controlled focus.
Type: IX 240 autofocus/autoexposure single-lens reflex camera with focal-plane shutter, built-in motor drive, and built-in flash.
Compatible lenses: Canon EF lenses.
Lens mount: Canon EF mount with fully-electronic interface.
Type: Eye-level pentaprism with roof mirror.
Picture coverage: 95% vertical and horizontal (for all print formats).
Magnification: 0.6x (with 40mm lens focused at infinity).
Standard diopter: -1 diopter (19.7mm eye relief)
Focusing screen: Fixed, New Laser-matte screen.
• Within the viewfinder screen: Superimposed LCD-type focusing points, current focusing point indicator, print format masks, print format (C, H or P) indicator, partial metering circle.
• Below viewfinder screen: Shutter speed, aperture, AE lock, flash-ready indicator, FP flash, flash exposure compensation icon, exposure compensation amount, in-focus indicator.
Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (no vignetting with EF 600mm f/4L USM lens or a shorter lens).
Metering system: TTL metering at maximum aperture with a 6-zone SPC (silicon photocell).
• Evaluative metering (linked to focusing points).
• Partial metering (automatically set with AE lock, covering approx. 6.5% of viewfinder screen).
• Centreweighted averaging metering (automatically set in manual exposure mode).
• Program AE (shiftable).
• Shutter speed-priority AE.
• Aperture-priority AE.
• Depth-of-field AE.
• Full Auto.
• Five Programmed Image Control modes.
• Autoflash exposure: E-TTL program flash AE with EX-series Speedlites, TTL program flash AE with the built-in flash, A-TTL and TTL program flash AE with EZ-series Speedlites.
Camera-shake warning: In Full Auto (5) and Programmed Image Control (6) modes, the shutter speed blinks (at 2 Hz) if it is slower than 1/1.25 x lens focal length.
Metering range: EV 1-20 (at 20°C and normal humidity with a 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
ISO Film Speed Range: ISO 6-8000 (set automatically within ISO 25-8000 in one-third steps).
• Autoexposure bracketing: ±2 stops in half stops. IX and series scene data recorded automatically. Sequence: Correct exposure, underexposure, and overexposure in all film advance modes. With the self-timer, the three bracketed shots are exposed continuously.
• Manual exposure compensation: ±2 stops in half stops. Also enabled during autoexposure bracketing.
• Auto AE lock: Automatic AE lock when focus is achieved in the One-Slot AF and evaluative metering modes.
• Manual AE lock: AE locks at the partial metering circle with the AE lock button.
AF control: TTL-CT-SIR (Through-the-Lens Cross-Type Secondary Image Registration) with multiple BASIS (Base-Stored Image Sensor).
Focusing points: Vertical-line sensitive left and right sensors and cross-type sensor at centre (1+1).
AF working range: EV 2-18.5 (at ISO 100).
Focusing point selection:
• Automatic: Camera-selected.
• Manual: User-selected.
• One-Shot AF: AF locks when focus is achieved. Shutter can be released only when focus is achieved.
• AI Servo AF: Tracks subject movement and allows shutter release any time. Predictive AF provided.
• AI Focus AF: Set automatically in the Full Auto mode.If the subject focused in the One-Shot AF mode starts moving, the mode switches at AI Servo AF automatically.
• Manual focusing: Enabled by setting the lens' focus mode switch to MF (or M) and turning the focusing ring.
AF-assist beam: When necessary, the built-in AF-assist beam emitted automatically to where the current focusing point is aimed. Linked to the 3 focusing points.
Type: Vertical-travel, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled.
Shutter speeds: 30 to 1/4000 sec. (in half steps) and bulb. X-sync at 1/200 sec.
Shutter release: Soft-touch, electro-magnetic release.
Self-timer: Electronically-controlled for 10 sec. delay.
Film loading: Drop-in loading and automatic advance to frame 1 or to the first unexposed frame with a partially-exposed film cartridge.
Film advance: Automatic.
• Single frame.
• Continuous (approx. 2.5 frames per sec. max.).
Film rewind: Automatic at the end of the roll. Midroll rewind enabled.
Film rewind time: Approx. 12 sec. (25 exposure film).
Noise level: 54dB.
Type: Retractable TTL auto flash, serially controlled.
• Guide no. 11metres (ISO100)
• Recycling time: Approx. 2 sec.
• Flash coverage: 22mm lens covered.
• Firing conditions: Pops up and fires automatically in low-light or backlit conditions in the Full Auto, Portrait, Close-up and Night Scene modes. Fires with the flash button in Creative Zone modes.
• In Full Auto and P modes: Automatically set by the TTL program.
• In the Av and manual modes: Manually set.
• In Tv mode: Automatically set to match the shutter speed.
Flash sync speed:
• In Full Auto and P modes: Automatically set to 1/60 to 1/200 sec.
• In Av mode: Automatically set within 30" to 1/125 sec. to match the aperture.
• In Tv and manual modes: Manually set to 1/200 sec. or slower in half steps.
Flash metering: Off-the-film TTL autoflash metering (linked to the focusing points).
Flash Range: With colour negative film and f/1.4 lens:
• ISO 100: 1 to 12 metres.
• ISO 200: 1 to 17 metres.
• ISO 400: 1 to 24 metres.
Flash exposure compensation: Enabled up to ±2 stops in half or full steps. (Flash exposure compensation also possible with an external Speedlite).
Red-eye reduction: With the built-in flash popped up, the red-eye reduction lamp (AF-assist beam emitter) lights automatically in low-light in the Full Auto, Portrait, and Night Scene modes. The shutter release is not locked while the lamp is on.
IX (Information Exchange) Imprinting
Print format: C, H or P format selectable with the print format button. When the C or P format is selected, the LCD mask is displayed on the viewfinder screen.
Backprinting: The following information is always printed on the back of the print - backprinting cannot be disabled. (The imprinting style depends on the photofinisher).
• Date and time.
• Focal length.
• Max. aperture.
• Shutter speed.
• Exposure compensation amount.
Frontprinting: One of the following items can be imprinted on the front of the print. (Frontprinting may not be possible with some photofinishers. The style, size, colour and position of the imprinted information depends on the photofinisher)
• Fixed Time Printing Mode: the FTPM IX data is recorded magnetically during film rewind.
• Series scene: Series scene IX data is recorded magnetically automatically when a series of shots is taken using autoexposure bracketing or AE lock.
Flash contacts: X-sync for direct connection on hot shoe.
External Speedlite compatibility: Compatible with E-TTL, A-TTL and TTL autoflash systems.
• Wireless remote control sensor provided for optimal Remote Controller RC-1.
• 2.5mm diameter terminal provided for optional Remote Switch RS-60E3.
Automatic calendar: Built-in (settable from 1996.1.1 with no limit. Adjusts automatically for leap years.). Powered by the camera's batteries.
Power source: Two DL123A (or CR123A) lithium batteries.
Battery service life: Number of 25-exposure rolls with 50% flash use:
• Approx. 35 rolls at 20°C
• Approx. 15 rolls at -20°C
Battery check: Battery level displayed automatically indicating one of four levels on the LCD panel when the Main Switch is set to A.
Size: 132.2 (W) x 79.5 (H) x 58.5 (D) mm (body thickness: 42.5mm).
Weight: 440g (body only).
unfortunately we don't have an information section for this product yet. However, our website is being constantly updated so please check back soon.
unfortunately we don't have a press release section for this product yet. However , our website is being constantly updated so please check back soon.